Municipality of Silang
Bayan ng Silang
—  Municipality  —

Map of Cavite showing the location of Silang.
Country Philippines
Region CALABARZON (Region IV-A)
Districts 3rd District of Cavite
Barangays 64
Incorporated (municipality)
 - Mayor Clarito Poblete (Kampi)
 - Municipality 209.4 km2 (80.8 sq mi)
Population (2007)
 - Municipality 199,285
 - Density 952/km2 (2,465.7/sq mi)
 - Urban 65,844
 - Metro Manilla
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
Area code(s) 46
Website [1]

The Municipality of Silang (Filipino: Bayan ng Silang) is a first class landlocked municipality in the province of Cavite, Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 199,285 people in an area of 209.4 square kilometers.[1]Silang is located in the eastern section of Cavite. This is the location of Philippine National Police Academy.




The municipality of Silang is approximately 45 kilometers south of Manila. General Trias, Dasmariñas and General Mariano Alvarez (GMA) bound it on the south and on the west by Amadeo. Silang is noted for its relatively cool and invigorating climate.

Built up area

With the continuous expansion of Metro Manila, the municipality is now included in the Manila built area which spans southward toward Lipa City.

 Brief History

The name Silang was derived from the Tagalog word silanganan meaning "east", because the town is seated at the eastern portion of Cavite. A legend claims that it was coined from the Tagalog word isinilang or "given birth to", referring to the sudden and unusual emergence of the parish church. It may also refer to the new emergence of the land from the eruption of Taal Volcano on May 15, 1754. Whereas, 3 barangays of Silang are called Tubuan I, II & III. One of the oldest towns in Cavite, Silang may have been founded in the year 1571, though there are other dates being claimed by some authorities. Its roots, however, are traced by tradition to the time of the ten Bornean Datus who migrated northward on board balangays. Its first settlers were Gat Hingiw, his wife Gat Kaliwanag and their seven children. Their children moved to different places of the town and established their respective barangays. Another version of Silang's origin is based on research conducted in 1953, when Don Bernabe Javier Manahan, Don Gervacio dela Cruz, and the people of Silang purchased the area from King Ferdinand VI of Spain for 2,000 pesetas on March 9, 1746. A different story recounts that Silang originally belonged to the encomienda of Diego Jorge de Villalobos. In 1585, the Franciscan Order Fathers, the Society of Saint Catholic Parish, the Jesuits, Augustinian Recollects, Belgian Fathers, the Society of Saint Columban, and other religious congregations successively took over the Silang parish until 1978, when its administration was finally relinquished to the Imus Diocese. Originally, Silang's territory extended to what are known today as the towns of Carmona, Amadeo, Indang and General Trias.